Re: [Harp-L] overblow-tongueblock combination

George Brooks <gbrooks1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote
on Wed, 13 Apr 2005 15:04:08 -0400:

> Subject: [Harp-L] overblow-tongueblock combination
>
>  >At the risk of repeating myself, I'm a terrible harp player and
>  >I can do it. It's not harder, just different.
>
> But I never said it was harder.  Is it rare?  I know quite a few people
> who can overblow proficiently but only a very small handfull who can do
> it from a tongue block.  Is it esoteric?  My dictionary defines
> "esoteric" as meaning known by a restricted number or confined to a
> small group.
>
> Perhaps, through the efforts of Ric, Ludo, and others, the technique
> will move more into the mainstream, but as things are now, I stand by
> my words.

George

I definitely responded to a strawman version of what you said :-)

Let's clarify: no matter how rarely used this technique may be,
it is not intrinsically more difficult than using a different
embouchure. I would hate anyone to get the impression that only
luminaries such as Filisko should attempt it.

BTW, how about a survey? It would be interesting to know what
percentage of harp-l's diatonic-blowing readership used OBs/ODs.
And what % of those uses each embouchure?

Cheers
Ric