[Harp-L] RE: Gig Attire

At great risk to my person I'll invoke the harp Anit-Christ, Bob Dylan (apologies in advance; I have a point unrelated to his harp skills).

He's a great example of the "clothing as costume" school of thought. His clothes (and hair) clearly reflected the music he was playing and the image he wished to convey at any given time, and it's startling how rapidly he went from one image to the next. Each change in musical style brought a clear change in performing attire, from workshirts/cowboy boots/short hair to tailored Italian suits/Cuban-heeled boots/shades/freaky hair.

And for the guy who was worried about not being cool enough to pull off wearing a hat - Dylan was (and is) as painful and skinny a dork (takes one to know one) as ever there was, and speaking purely from a chops standpoint he was by no means a badass player. Yet he managed to fit the definition of hip/cool in the mid-60's, fitting right in with the Beatles and Stones (if that fits your definition of cool) who were all quite the mod fashion-plates themselves.

I say fake it 'till you make it. Clothes are a quick, easy way to improve your performing alter-ego and market yourself.
Michael Davis
Kansas City, MO