[Harp-L] attire

Here's what I heard from somebody in the business (don't remember who).

Most people judge in this order:

1. Visual appeal
2. Vocals
3. Music

For covers, recognizability trumps 2 and 3, as our minds can pitch shift all but the worst vocalist.
If you look smooth you've got better odds of landing casuals, corporate gigs, etc. and making more dough.

If you love the guy in the band and he doesn't want to dress up, let him know you'd love to have him stay, but you can use him only for appropriate gigs (read: $50/man or less). If the band is a democracy, odds are it's just a matter of time before it isn't anymore.

As far as misbehaving bandmembers (and possibly other stuff), Chris is much ballsier than I.
I'm all for firing/arguing with the guy after the gig.
My guitarist was in a band playing a big gig and the singer/leader went off on the bass player and the bass player said:

"It looks like you've got 5 minutes to find a new bass player"

Good luck!

Ned