[Harp-L] slide chrom v short harp

Chris Michalek wrote:

>Learn the guitar or keyboard first....

>This is Peloquin's secret. What really sucks is that he's a better
>harmonica player than most and it's not his first instrument.

I think this is great advice, with the caveat that I believe, along with Michael Peloquin, that piano is better than guitar for learning how music works.

Howard Levy, who is also a better harmonica player than most (and whether you like his music or not, this is unquestionably true), was playing piano and composing music before he ever picked up a harmonica. Mike Turk, one of the heaviest jazz harmonica players in the world, went to Berklee, where they required him to play another instrument (sax, I think), and he plays piano, too. William Galison plays guitar and piano in addition to killer button chromatic and short harp. Many of the great horn players from the be-bop era could play piano well, including Charlie Parker.

I think it's incredibly hard figuring out where all the notes are on a diatonic harmonica. On a piano, it's easy, and the understanding that you gain will transfer back to harp. I don't claim that it's easy to play piano well, but it *is* easy to play, say, an Eb in any octave. It's incredibly easy to play simple chords on piano, to (for instance) play a C major triad, lower the 3rd degree by a semitone to play the C minor triad, then lower the fifth degree by a semitone to produce the C diminished triad. You'll *see* the chord on the keyboard and *hear* it at the same time.

The digital revolution has some very scary aspects, but one beneficial result is inexpensive consumer-level keyboards with very good piano sounds. For under $100.00, you can buy a small keyboard with a decent piano sound at a big box store. If you had the knowledge of a Richard Hunter (the List's reigning champ of good-but-really-cheap), you could probably negotiate the waters of Ebay and come up with something serviceable for the price of a harp or two.

George