Re: [Harp-L] Deluxe Memory Man

Richard Leonard wrote:
"Has anyone ever tried the Deluxe Memory Man by Electro Harmonix? It's
a combination analog delay, chorus and vibrato. I bought one this
past weekend. I using it through my Kalamazoo model two. In 35 years
of playing music this is the first effects box I have owned. I used
it playing bass with my Eden rig in the worship band Sunday and it
sounded great. Gave a nice full rich sound. I like what I'm getting
with my harps but I am not real sure what a nice analog delay should
sound like. Does anybody have any experience with this box?"

First, a nice analog delay should sound good to YOU.  The best effect
box in the world is the one whose sound inspires you the most, period.

I've owned an original Memory Man since about 1987.  It's a very good
analog delay, seems to improve the sound of every signal that goes
through it, even if the effect is off.  The chorus isn't a very striking
effect, but that may have changed in the reissue Memory Man, which is
probably what you own.  My unit doesn't include a vibrato circuit.

A delay is probably the most important effect for any musician; it does
so much in so many different ways.  A short delay time (around 180-200
milliseconds) produces a "slapback" that fattens the tone and adds drama
and motion to the sound.  Longer delay times produce distinct echoes
that can be used in all sorts of ways.  Setting the delay time to
something close to the tempo of the song (or a subdivision, like a
quarter or eigth note) reinforces the rhythm of the song with a moving,
pulsating effect; U2's guitarist The Edge does this frequently.  The
Memory Man doesn't include a Tap Tempo function for setting the delay to
the tempo of the song (at least mine doesn't), but you can get close
enough by setting delay time manually.

Analog delays tend to lose more high frequencies on every echo repeat;
digital delays tend to retain the highs. Analog delays sound "warmer" as
a result.  A good digital delay can emulate that high-frequency decay,
but it's nice to have it built-in to the circuit.

The Memory Man does one neat trick that I haven't seen on any other
delay  -- try twisting the delay time knob while a signal is going
through it. Psychedelic, man.

Try playing around with the knobs and see what comes out.  Delays are
big fun.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
New live jammin' acoustic blues CD "All You Good People"
http://hunterharp.com/goodmain.html