[Harp-L] slide chrom v short harp

From: Joe and Cass Leone <leone@xxxxxxxx>

Nay, 'I' would START with a chromatic........much much easier.......smokey-joe

If you are serious about what you are doing MUSICALLY and not just HARMONICA-WISE--learn both concurrentlly. They are similar enough in layout that it is really not confusing. Technique can be almost identical Your diatonic playing, as it progresses, will have a concrete model (delivery address as Smo-Joe puts it) upon which to base your MUSICAL thinking. I started on the button beast about one year after beginning on diatonic. The note layouts of each/both are permantly imprinted in my brain. The mental pictures are almost identical. IMHO, the lack of a firm knowledge of a fixed pitch instrument with a logical, mentally visible note layout (slide chrom, piano, woodwind--NOT guitar or brass) holds back a lot of short harp players from developing a deeper musical knowledge.

happy bending and buttoning,
Michael Peloquin
http://tinyurl.com/5tpjg
http://www.harpsax.com