Re: [Harp-L] Re: (Harp-L) Hello and introduction

On Apr 11, 2005, at 9:20 PM, tom ball wrote:

Hiya Smokey,

While I might respectfully disagree, I love your analogy -- well thought out and indeed humorously presented. Kudos! :)

cheers,
TB

___
Oh Jeez Tom, I wasn't being in disagreement as to which harmonica to start out with as a GENERAL premise. That's why I placed the word (personally) into the MUCH harder to play sentence. To understand where I'm coming from let me use an example:
During several of the after hours jazz gatherings at spah, buckey and other venues, I noticed that it was QUITE difficult to maneuver the right combination(s) of notes into the tunes with a diatonic. This is basically due to a couple reasons.
Reason #1 would be that while I play both harmonicas, I don't quite have the expertise (at my level) on a diatonic to negotiate some of the passages, tongue twisting combinations, or 'manufactured' notes as (let's say) a Chris Michalek or Allen Holmes. I have heard them several times and their mastery of the instrument is genuine. Although I have played from 1955-1958 and 1983-present, I never progressed at the level I should have. The reasons are moot, but suffices to say, I wasn't really 'going for the gold' , so to speak.
Reason #2 since my taste in music was more pop, jazz, Latin, show tunes & light classical I concentrated more on harmonicas which had the "necessary" missing notes (or at least what 'I' thought were necessary). To that end, I am at a stage where I can sit in at one of these fiascos and not be out of place, but it would be with a chromatic.

In actuality, I generally hold BOTH types when I do a number, and since even the great Charlie McCoy uses a 'G' chromatic to start the tune "T.D's Boogie" and then switches to a suck harp for the remainder, I don't see it as being blasphemous. Most programs for teaching new players have you starting out with a diatonic. I (again personally) think this is wrong as when one moves from one key to another (which one eventually MUST), trying to remember what notes are in what hole is nearly impossible. To that end, I feel diatonics must ultimately be played by 'feel'. One must get SO SO very intimate with the diat that notes flow without any thought process being involved. It must be a natural instinct. Also, since one must ultimately use many different positions or modes AND do this in all 12 keys (24 if you count the minors), diatonics are terribly difficult to master. Play..yes, but master...don't make me laugh, I have chapped lips.

Chromatics, on the other hand, are fairly straightforward, and with the exception that you have to ALSO know what you're doing when you use various keys, as long as you think in C, it's easier sailing.

Always remember that you are coming from the thinking process of Tom Ball (a GREAT player). Don't forget that not all of us can do what I have heard you do (with Kenny). I can do almost anything McCoy can do, but I can't do what YOU do, and I'm not that much of a blues player. I play clean clear Louisiana style.

When a small boy in Trieste Italy, the only music you could get was local Italian (nice but too many mandolins). You could get armed forces radio out of Frankfort (mostly swing). MY (personal) favorite was radio Praha, Wien, or Buda-Pesht. I ADORE middle european & gypsy music and its too hard for me to do on diatonic. Ergo, I used a chromatic.

your fan smokey-joe

previous msg.

I (personally) feel diatonics are MUCH harder to learn than
chromatics. Chromatics have 40/48/56/64 'residents' who ALL live at the
same address year after year and never move.

With diatonics, when you try to deliver the mail to the residents, you
find there are 40 "permanent" residents and anywhere from 10 to 20
"transient" residents who don't live at any specific address.

You therefore have to deliver the notes to residents who live "behind
the cardboard box halfway down the hall" OR "at the bottom of and under
the stairwell", OR "in the broom closet behind the ice maker" OR "at
the bottom of the elevator shaft". Finding some of these residents when
you need to is a bit frustrating.

  Nay, 'I' would START with a chromatic........much much
easier.......smokey-joe