[Harp-L] the amazing, the astounding - POG.

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, WSchuman@xxxx
wrote:
> Hey Folks !
>
> I haven't participated in the list for a number of
years, but thought that I
> would pipe up about a few gear things that I think
the list will be very
> interested in.
>
> A few months ago I went down to a local guitar
store...  While I was there the
> store owner came into the tryout room with a large
pedal and said: "Try this
> thing... It should be good for the harmonica."
> He had brought in a POG: Polyphonic Octave
Generator, by Electro-Harmonix...
> It is an octave pedal that gives you one octave
below, and two more above,
> plus two octaves "detuned"... it is an extremely
adjustable device...

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Michael
Fugazzi <mfugazzi67@xxxx> wrote:

>  I think that this is the octave pedal Jason Ricci
> uses.  The one that he uses for the actual ocatves.
>
> Mike

i'm 99.99% sure that it isn't. I've seen both these
guys play, and whatever Jason plays through (if it
isn't the Boss OC-2 pedal) to get octaves doesn't look
anything like the POG, or sound like it, imo. of
course Wade and Jason have different tone, different
approaches, etc, but to my ears, (and my eyes - i look
at people's gear, natch) it isn't the same device. the
POG has an amazingly "real" sound (meaning, it doesn't
sound synthetic, digital, what-have-you). more so than
any other octave device i've heard. of course, it can
sound otherworldly what with all the detuning etc you
can do. Wade really does get some unbelievable sounds
out of it. makes that Sarusaphone in his band sound
like a kazoo. ok, i'm hyperbolating a bit... anyway,
Jason's on the list i think - he can tell us if it's a
POG or not.

 --Jp