Re: [Harp-L] positions

i'm trying to understand this more.first position is ionian mode.2nd position
isis the 5th mode mixolidian. 3rd is the 2nd position the dorien mode.what is
the 4th 5th 6th and 7th??

Tom, since the link that I sent that explained it didn't work for you, I suggest that you just learn about them by experiencing them. The Do Re Mi song hits all the notes in the scale, and is Ionian major. The song is probably in your head, if it isn't, try listening at http://www.niehs.nih.gov/kids/lyrics/doremi.htm Just work on the part that starts with "Doe, a deer, a female deer" thru the end at " That will bring us back to Do". That lets you hear all of the motes of the scale for that mode in a musical context.

Play it on your C harp starting a blow 4 (C) 1st position Ionian.
Play it on your C harp starting a blow 6 (G) 2nd position Mixolydian.
Play it on your C harp starting a draw 4 (D) 3rd position Dorian.
Play it on your C harp starting a draw 6 (A) 4th position Aeolian.
Play it on your C harp starting a blow 5 (E) 5th position Phrygian.
Play it on your C harp starting a draw 3 (B) 6th position Locrian.
Play it on your C harp starting a draw 5 (F) 12th position Lydian.

There are no bends if you start at those notes, if you start down low you might bend to the wrong note to fix the sound. The differences in the sound of the modes will make you think that you are making mistakes when you aren't so you'll have to think about what you are doing. It will put the sound of the modes into your head, and teach you your way around the middle and high end of your harp. It's an exercise that might work better for you than all the stuff that you can read. The music is first, the theory just explains it.

If little green men from a UFO gave me a box that could save the world I'd probably take it apart to see how it works. That's the way my mind works, and is why I study theory, but carrying a harp with me all the time and just playing whatever comes to mind at the moment as often as I can throughout the day does way more for my playing. Try just playing with the modes. Play, don't study. :0)

1st position: 4+ 4 5+ 4+ 5+ 4+ 5+..
2nd position: 6+ 6 7 6+ 7 6+ 7...
3rd position: 4 5+ 5 4 5 4 5...
etc.

If you play them in that order, each new mode gives one new note that seems "different". If you play them in alphabetical order the interval changes will make less sense to your ear.

Peace and music,
Dave