[Harp-L] Free software to display the notes you are playing on a piano keyboard

Hey everyone,

In my other life, I am a software designer and in my spare time,  I have been working on a tool that allows you to see the notes you are playing on an animated piano keyboard. Basically it uses the mic connected to your PC to listen to what you play, determines what note is being played and displays it on a piano keyboard. The tool is monophonic and does not handle chords very well. There is also a  real time Spectrum and Harmonic product spectrum graph. You get to see how "fat" you can play.

To animate the piano, use the Microphone menu to turn the mic "on" and select "notes" from the Analysis menu.

The software does a lot of number crunching, I'm not sure how good the response time will be on slower computers. It runs very well on my 2 year old XP system. The software has **not** been tested on Windows 95 or 98.

No that the keyboard is disabled in graphics view to preserve juice to display the graphics.

By the way, the software belongs to me (I did not use any copyrighted material) and there is a one year limit on the use of the software, after one year it will stop working. I may sell a enhanced version of this software in the future. If you would like to distribute this to one or more friends, have them contact me at plavio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If you would like to try it, send me an e-mail off list and I will e-mail the program to you over the course of the next few days.

Please note that if you request and use use this software, you are accepting entire responsibility for any loss arising from the use or abuse of this software. Practically speaking any programs can crash and cause loss of data or other damage to a personal computer in rare instances. As I said, the software has **not** been tested on Windows 95 or 98.

Thank you,

Pierre.

PS: I will not give or sell any e-mail addresses to anyone.

PPS: There are two known bug, one is that the frequency displayed is off by one octave, the other is that selected octave of the keyboard is wrong.  This does not affect useability. If we have any Fast Fourrier Transfor experts on the list I would appreciate help.