RE: [Harp-L] Melody Makers, Paddy Richters, and recording

Hi all

Richard Hunter wrote
>When a melody demands a full scale in the bottom octave, and the sound
>of a diatonic harp is what's needed, the Melody Makers and Paddy
>Richters are absolutely the way to go.  I've made a note to myself to
>expand my sets of these tunings.

With all the required humility, I would strongly second what Richard says.
When recording my very first own song, it has taken me several trials to
find the right tool for the job. The tune is mainly in natural minor and is
rather slow. I first recorded it with a chrom but didn't like the sound of
it for this song (with my playing abilities of course). Then I tried
diatonics in several minor positions and found the 4th great except for the
full bend on the 3rd draw. This note being the tonic, I didn't want to use a
bend. So I retuned a G harp to Paddy Richter and found this tuning very good
for the tune. There is only one bend to do (3rd hole half step). Now that
I've got a Brendan Power CX-10 and Hering Blues in Mitch Weiss tuning, I
plan to try it again (there is no bend at all on this chrom tuning).

The sound file is at:
http://www.planetharmonica.com/sons/MissingYouByLaurentV.mp3

I've recorded it on small digital four track (tascam pocket studio) with my
keyboard (a Roland EX-R3) and a Golden Melody. I'm not completely happy with
the playing and the arrangement but that's the best I could do with my
musical capacities (I've never, ever, taken any musical or composition
lesson).

Don't hesitate to give me real feedback on the song but please keep in mind
I'm a pure amateur!!!!!

Cheers

  Laurent