Re: [Harp-L] Melody Makers, Paddy Richters, and recording

Cara Cooke wrote:
"I don't know what the melody required, but you might have also tried
a D harmonica -- perhaps a low D (12th position).  The notes you
described you needed would have been there, too, just placed
differently."

This is absolutely true; don't know what position this is (equivalent to
F on a C harp). Since the 4th and 7th degrees of the scale weren't
required, all the notes are there, without bends, and the 3rd degree of
the scale (draw 6 in this case) would be bendable when required, too.  A
low D is in the right register.  Good call.

It would have been a little harder for me to read the sheet music with
that harp.  One problem with diatonics is that it's impossible  (at
least for me) to memorize the tone layout for every key (esepcially with
6 different tunings for each key).  I've started asking composers to do
my music in the key of C, and let me handle the transpositions; then I
can read for every harp as if it was a C harp.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com