Re: [Harp-L] On Howard Levy's Style

"Hotmail" <blork54@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You know while i'm on the topic I might as well talk about a
> probably slightly more contravorsial player that I admire.
> Pig Pen from the early years of the Grateful Dead, although
> not the most talented harpist, defiantly had a some decent
> chops, soul and great improvisastional ability.

funny you should bring this up.  i grew up on grateful dead, and
was recently listening to a great pigpen-era show from 1971
( http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=14851 ).
and it struck me again how well his harp works on these tunes.
he's not real technical, or flashy, plays basic stuff.  but that
doesn't matter, 'cause it fits the music, and completes the song.
it's not what you can do, but what you do with it.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.