RE: [Harp-L] Jason Ricci in Denver (long)

Mojo Red related his victory on stage with Jason Ricci:
> I got to hear Jason Ricci and his band as they
> toured through the Denver area last week. ...

> During his break, Jason asked me if I'd like to sit
> in with the band. I said, well I've only got one
> harp with me... He said, "What key?" Okay, I'll go
> up there with you, but don't play anything with too
> many changes or I won't be able to keep up... Then
> he says... "You call the tune, man. I want YOU to
> drive the boat." ... {massive clippage]

Wow! Thanks for relating the story, Ken.  What an opportunity, and I am
really glad you ~nailed~ it.  'Course I ~have~ heard you play and sing, so
it's no surprize to me... 8^)

Since you said it so well I will just second everything you said about Jason
and his band.  I had the rare opportunity to catch Jason and the band twice
this summer.  In addition treating you to an almost unbelievable
demonstration of his harmonica technque and musicality, he is the one of the
most gracious and genuinely nice people I have met.  Loves to chat it up
with harp players, even rank amateurs like me.  Jason is a terrific guy and
an amazing harper.  You owe it to yourself to catch him whenever it's even
remotely possible.  Make sure you say hey to him and tell him you are a
harper, too.

Only one problem.  Jason raises the bar so high that it makes it difficult
to appreciate the honest efforts of mere mortal harmonica players again.  ;)
I've seen some over-the-top harpers since Jason's shows, but I find myself
comparing them to him.  It's really an unfair comparison.  There is only one
Jason Ricci!

Michelle