[Harp-L] Jason Ricci in Denver (long)

Hi gang,

I got to hear Jason Ricci and his band as they
toured through the Denver area last week. I'd spent
some time with him at SPAH and we got to be
friends, so when he got to town, we hooked up for
dinner before his show where we talked about the
old blues harp masters, who our influences were
(not just harp players) and who we really liked of
the current crop of harp players.

Considering his non-stop touring, he looked great.
Eager to perform, full of energy and genuinely glad
to see me. He said he's been touring non-stop since
SPAH. What a grueling schedule.

Jason was very excited to show off his band, New
Blood. I guess he'd felt like he just wasn't able
to do what he'd wanted with the poor backup he got
at SPAH and was happy that I could see him at his
best, in his own element. It was a Thurday night at
the Supreme Court, a very nice bar in downtown
Denver, part of the Adams Mark hotel.

On drums is Maki Bergara, a 22 year-old
drums-genius from Buenos Aires, Argentina. Lead
guitar, Shawn Starski from Florida, another 21-year
old with talent to burn and very mature licks for
such a young kid. Jason's bass player is new to the
band... I think he's also named Jason, but I don't
remember his last name -- everyone kept calling him
"Froggy"... Most EXCELLENT bass player with a very
deep sense of groove, obviously well versed in jazz
and blues. These guys may be young, but boy, they
are TIGHT.

Anyway, the show was monstrous good... Just kickin'
from the first note to the last song of the night
(an incredible instrumental version of "Mercy Mercy
Mercy" that made me want to cry). And despite the
relatively light turnout (remember, it was a
Thursday night), Jason put on one hell of a show.
No hanging back for these guys.

Jason uses blazing-fast, unusual harp runs
(integrated with overbends, but not so's you'd
notice), but they actually have direction and
musical coherency. Also, he's no one-trick pony,
able to fall off into a delicate slow, rhythmic
grooves with a natural ease that makes you want to
float away and just get lost in that endless tone.

His music is funky, in your face and powerful, but
deeply rooted in swing and the essence of blues.
Very, very tight but also not coming off as
"arranged" for the sake of showmanship. Highly
recommended. These guys are the real deal.

Jason Ricci and New Blood have one CD out right
now, "Feel Good Funk," but he tells me they're
working on a new live CD, called "Live at
Checkers", that will feature some of his excellent
3rd position work.

During his break, Jason asked me if I'd like to sit
in with the band. I said, well I've only got one
harp with me... He said, "What key?" Okay, I'll go
up there with you, but don't play anything with too
many changes or I won't be able to keep up... Then
he says... "You call the tune, man. I want YOU to
drive the boat."

Me? Crikey! My mind wrenched... I've been without a
band for more than a month... I'm not half the harp
player he is... I... I.... "Sure, Jason. I'd love
to." There it was... Me and my big mouth.

Jason grinned, patted my arm and ran up onstage to
start his second set. Suddenly I couldn't remember
the words to any songs whatsoever... Jason's music
pulsing loud in my head... I grabbed a pen and
napkin and ran out of the bar to think!! Okay! I
got one... how does it go? Easy 12-bar blues. I
scribbled the words on the napkin and felt somewhat
better... How does the head go? Okay... Got it. I'm
ready.

Then Jason finished the second song and starts to
give me this really flattering introduction... all
about how we met at Ziggies, and hung out at SPAH
and what a great guy I am... Oh Jeeze...

So, all embarrased, I got up on stage and said what
I was feeling... "Damn, thanks Jason. I don't know
what the hell I'm doing up here. But here goes..."

I called it it off for the band and launched into
the head of William Clarke's "Lookin' to the
Future". Wow... playing through Jason's monstrous
Bassman rig was ~such~ a pleasure... tone dripping
from every nuance of my harp... All went well. In
fact it was down right invigorating. I played my
best, sang decently and that band, so tight, just
making me look like a pro. Jason just grinned and
grinned the entire time.

When I finished I think the crowd was so stunned
that I didn't stink up the place that they clapped
and whistled enthusiastically -- and even stood up
out of their seats. Huh!?

Jason laughed and laughed... "You played your ASS
off, man! Standing ovation! Good, strong vocals
too! I never heard you sing before." Never heard me
sing? He'd barely heard me ~play~ before, yet
thought enough of me, trusted me with his band like
that. Wow!

Needless to say, I was walking on clouds the rest
of the night... hang the fact that I had to be at
work early the next morning. Can't tell you how
good it felt to get that kind of acknowledgement,
to be able to play with guys of that caliber.
Totally made my day.

Jason: Wherever you are, may the gods of good
health and success always smile down on you. May
your van never break down. May your new CD go
double Platinum. And may your rig always be
tonefull and may your Golden Melodies never go out
of tune.

Harpin in Colorado,
--Ken M.