Re: [Harp-L] mp3 (limited harp content)

<quote>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 12:29:48 +0100
From: "ROBERT VENABLES" <robert.venables@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] mp3 (limited harp content)

Can anyone recommend a program that will enable me to save mp3 or similar
from a cd and then email it. I have real audio (free version) which seems
intent on taking over the computer, and Windows media player. Harp content,
if I can master it, I can send my take on some Irish & Scottish tunes Email
me offlist if you like, I am sure this is childsplay to most of you
Thanks
Rob V
</quote>

In terms of playing Real Audio files I suggest you get a copy of "Real
Alternative" which is a freeware, no frills audio player, and frees you of
the burden that Real Audio inundates you with.
"QuickTime Alternative" is the same thing for Apple Quicktime files -
combined this will allow you to view most forms of audio and video files on
the internet.

Theres a good site which has these two programs plus many other freeware and
codex downloands including bundles that you can install in one hit.
http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/finalbuilds.htm
Uninstall 'Real Audio' and Quicktime and reboot before installing any of the
above.

I use IrfanView freeware for listening to MP3s and viewing and limited
editing of images - very useful software, make sure you download their
plugins pack as well, it contains the MP3 player among other formats.
http://www.irfanview.com

I use Microsoft's CD player for playing CDs, its basic & simple, but it
works, and when I download CD contents from the web, it uses them.

In terms of ripping CDs, I've found Amazing Slow Downer great.  Very
flexible useful software.  It can slow down or speed up files or CD tracks
without changing pitch, or change pitch without changing the speed, or both.
You can get it to cycle through a section of the track if you're trying to
get a phrase, or lick, or chorus down cold.
It allows you to rip tracks from CDs and music files, or portions of them,
at a different tempo, or different pitch, or both, or whatever.  Saves in
MP3, PCM or WAV formats.
http://www.ronimusic.com/

Real Producer Basic, is freeware which can convert a limited range of
filetypes including WAV into Real Audio format - worth having.  It doesn't
take over your computer the way Real Audio does.
http://forms.real.com/rnforms/products/tools/producerbasic/
(you need to enter your details to get at the free download - they don't
spam you if you do).
  If you put stuff up on a website, Real Audio is one common sound format
that can be streamed. I prefer WMF though since it seems to be able to
produce very compact files with relatively good quality compared to other
formats I've tried.

-- G.