[Harp-L] Throat Vibrato (and grunting)

Hi Colin;
              I missed Howard Chandler's post on this one. Since attempting some solo recording recently, I've decided
to get the 'oink' under control.
              I few years back I was talking and playing with an old-school professional chrom. player, and we
discussed vibrato.
              He had a fine deep throat vibrato which he used with excellent control, and not a hint of grunt (vocal
noises) He said that you simply had to learn to control it.
              I have since learned to control it, but still find that old habits die hard, especially when performing,
not just practising.
              You do have to move the vibrato up from your larynx to the throat muscles just above, and it might mean
initially that your vibrato is not as deep/heavy.
              I don't think the 'oink' matters in a funky blues, and can add something to the performance, but who
wants to be grunting their way through a ballad?

Cheers,
Rick Dempster