[Harp-L] Throat Vibrato (and grunting)

Hi,

I've alway's felt kind of insecure about the grunting sounds that I sometimes get when using my thoat to control airflow on draw notes (especially bent ones), for vibrato and other effects. It was kind of reassuring to hear del Junco producing these same kind of sounds on the video clip posted recently. I have to say, it's not all that noticable, and dosen't sound bad or anything when he does it, but I guess I picked up on it since it's kind of something I can sometimes obsess about. Anyway, does anyone else know what I mean? Any tips to minimize or compensate for this?

Thanks

Howard Chandler
Mandeville, LA

Captron100@xxxxxxx wrote:

Sam wrote:
If anybody can give me any pointers on this I'd appreciate it a lot.

Fwiw, i do mine like this (first we'll take draw vibrato): as deep in the throat as possible, when I inhale, I say a series of "uh uh uh uh uh uh . It may be diaphram but i confess that for all my years of harp playing, my simple brain has never quite comprehended what that is, tho i'm sure i prob. use it. For blow, it's almost the same, 'cept i don't seem to need to vocalize as much. Whether this is the accepted way or not, i don't know, but other harpers frequently compliment me on my vibrato.
On Charlie McCoy's instructional tape, he briefly describes how he does it - his seems to be more of a mouth thing. He drops, then raises his jaw repeatedly. U can also perhaps involve your tounge to do it. Imo, Charlie's way is a very mellow vibrato, whereas my typical vibrato is more pronounced.
ron