Re: [Harp-L] burnishing

Marion.Spiers@xxxx wrote:
> What kind of circumstances would make you want to burnish?
> Is it to correct a wide clearance making a reed not respond
> right,

Yes.

> or is it for a brighter sound and done routinely on all reeds?

Yes again.

There was a period in the manufacture of Hohner harmonicas when
reedslot clearances were relatively wide, resulting in air leakage
between the slot and the reed.  Burnishing (or embossing) can help
narrow those clearances, and improve reed response.  Hohner retooled
the handmade line in the late 90s and tightened these tolerances
considerably.

Burnishing/embossing heavily (closing the tolerances a great deal)
will greatly brighten the tone of the harmonica.  If I'm not
mistaken, there was a patent granted on this process for accordions,
though I don't have the details.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps