Re: [Harp-L] Throat Vibrato

--- Chris Michalek <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My vibrato has nothing to do with the diaphram.  it's all in the
> front of my mouth.  Imagine whistling a note, how would you add
> vibrato?  Whistle a note and then bend the note slightly back and
> forth.  That all I do and it's the same action I employ on the
> harmonica.

Steve Baker does this, but only on the so-called non-bending notes. He
uses something more like classic throat vibrato for the bendable ones.
The front-of-mouth vibrato is a nice sound and I use it sometimes
myself.

> It works well on all of the notes with conviction even
> the OB1.  I have never heard another player use vibrato on that note.
> Not even HL thought I'm sure he could but he produces his vibrato
> differently than I.

I do use vibrato on OB1, though of course the Discrete Comb makes it a
lot easier to apply, as the note is far more stable when the reed is
isolated.

Winslow