Re: [Harp-L] tuning C harp to D

FZ wrote:

>What about tuning a D flat harp a half step up to D?  Are the  reeds long
>enough.  Sure would be easier than going C up to  D.

It would be, but most Db harps are short slot so you wouldn't gain
anything. However, some (but not all) Hering Db reedplates are long
slot, so you might want to try retuning them.

It may be worth adding that there have been some short slot C harps.
I've worked on a least a couple of C Special 20s that had short slot
reeds. Also, the Lee Oskar MelodyMakerTM in the key of G (which covers
the same range as a standard C diatonic) has short slot reeds. Also
some Herings use a size in between their long slot and short slot
reeds for some of their harps in mid range keys (Bb, B, C and possibly
Db).

 -- Pat.