Re: [Harp-L] Throat Vibrato

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "samblancato"

Throat vibrato is a sort of "gated" pulsation in the air column that
can also affect the pitch of a note.

The gate is the same apparatus is the throat that makes you cough.
When you cough delibrately, the musculature closes off the air
passage momentarily, thereby building up pressure in the moving
column. Releasing the blockage creates a percussive release.

As a child, you may have used this mechanism to imitate a machine gun:

eh!-eh!-eh!-eh!-eh!-eh!-eh!

(the ! indicates where the throat gate acts).

The point of vibrato is not to completely interrupt the air flow but
to momentarily *almost close it off. This creates a narrowing of the
air column which is then released, causing an audible pulsation in
the air flow. As with note bending, it also creates a resonant
chamber between the point of constriction and the reed, and you can
use this to drive the pitch down in a controlled way.

Try doing the machine-gun cough, then back off so that it sounds (in
whisper mode - don't use you vocal cords) more like Ah-Ah-Ah-Ah -
you're putting a wave in the flow rather than breaking it into chunks.

Another approach would be to play a series of short, chopped-off bent
notes - maybe try 2 draw bent all the way down, with a short silence
between them:

!bent_note! (short pause) !bent_note! (short pause) etc.

Then, start trying to connect them so that you get a smooth pulsation.

Of course you also want to do this on unbent notes. Try playing an
unbent note, use the throat gate to get a pulsation going, then, if
you're not getting any pitch "throb", try useing the gate to dig in a
little more - make it more like each time you cativate the gate,
you're also getting a bend and pulling the note down just momentarily.

You bring up diaphragm vibrato - laughing vibrato as you call it.
This is a useful vibrtato, very different in sound, and it can be
used together with throat vibrato.

Diaphragm vibrato creates a pulsation in the airflow with pulses
originating in the abdomen, giving the air colum little nudges. It
doesn't have a note bending component, For this reason it can be very
useful for creating a vibrato on a deeply bent note or an overblow,
where changing the bend with a bendy vibrato may destabilize the
bend, cause it to break up into staccato notes instead of a wave, or
make the pitch vary too much.

Throat vibrato acts primarily on the forward half of the air column
(throat to reed), but there has to be "backside" component, and that
is the part of the air column that extends backward from the throat
into the lungs. By concentrating on letting the pulsations resonate
downward into the lungs as well as forward to the reed, you can
reinforce the strength of the vibrato. This could be called passive
abdominal vibrato (sheesh - the stuff I make up!)

In addition to strenghtening passive abdominal vibrato, you can use
diaphragm vibrato simultaneously with throat vibrato. With practice,
you can even learn to control the proportion between the two. I
suspect that Chris may be doing something like that. Vibrato that
works on all notes equally will have a fairly narrow pitch bend
component - all notes bend at least a *little bit, and an even
vibrato must bend them all by the same perceived amount. At the same
time by strengthening the air pulsation componenet and the resonance
component, you can thicken the overall sound of the vibrato.

<samblancato@xxxx> wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have inquired about the following subject on Harp Talk, another
list but I
thought I'd give it a shot here as well.

> but you have to have tb to do certain other
> things getting vibrato on a hard bend, for instance,

Not necessarily - see above re diaphragm vibrato and deep bends.

Winslow