[Harp-L] LONG SLOT D?

From: Bob Meehan
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 1:26 AM
Subject: LONG SLOT D?

Hi Everyone,
I have made long slot D harps, and I have played one made for me by Joe Filisko.
I can tell you that there are good and bad things about them.
Any harp where ALL the reeds are tuned up a whole step, is very likely to be troublesome.
They are a little more responcive. They are allot of work to build! I would rather give a customer a couple of free repairs, then to do all the work of tuning a C harp to a D.
The hardest thing about building them is to tune the 9 and 10 reeds up a whole step.
The regular D always seems to need 4 and 5 draw reeds replaced. I think that this is because next to the C and A harp, the D harp is the harp that gets the hardest workout.
Example, I have never had to replace a 4 draw reed on a Db harp! Also a short slot harp. C is the first long slot key, except for MS models.
Anyway, If someone orders a bunch of customized harps from me, I will build them a long slot D for no extra charg.
However, the regular customized D harps are just as good, in my humble opinion.
All the best,
Bob Meehan