[Harp-L] Re: The Life and Death of Paul Butterfield (Was To Tell  the truth)

" Music has got to do with love - human beings digging each other. That's the only way you can play music; you can't play music with someone you hate. Every writer who ever writes something on the blues writes some jive. Every article I've ever seen on the blues is from such a narrow viewpoint that it never gets down to what the music is, never gets down to the feeling that's going down. Maybe I shouldn't even be talking about it, but I'm disgusted with all this separation stuff. Every time they do a write-up on me, Muddy, they're talking about my Father was a lawyer . Man, my parents never had any money. My parents got put out of business for $1000 from the income tax people. Which has nothing to do with nothing. If Muddy is the richest man in the world. he's still got the feeling. he's still the man. I wish I WAS rich. I never had any money, but if I get some, I sure am not going to feel bad about it. I'm sure gonna groove. I'd go buy me a fast car, some good food, get high and enjoy myself and play music....I'm only talking about the only person who can mess you around is yourself. Little Walter, man. He always treated me good but he messed himself around by juicing too much. He was a great cat, a great musician, but he messed himself around. That's sad, y'now?"

Paul Butterfield (extract from post 'Fathers and Sons' interview with Muddy Waters and Otis Spann. Interviewer - Don DeMichael)
 john.gilmour@xxxxxxxxxxxxx on 21/09/2004 at 22:54:11