Re: [Harp-L] long slot D harp?

I wouldn't jump to conclusions (ie 'I must suck') I jumped onto Chris Michalek's remark about D harps being problematic,
as it was the first hint I have had of such a thing, and I am not at all confident of my own judgement in this matter.
However, I have been aware of ongoing problems with 'D' s for a few years now.
I read something by Rick Epping recently about the problems associated with XB40 'C's top end bends, and what he wrote
suggested that the problems were manifestly to do with the pitch of the reed and the size or harmonic specs. of the
resonating chamber.
This is the nearest thing I have to hard evidence regarding the possible inherent problems of a specific harp  (like
'D' for example)
I play low 'D's a lot and have no problem with them, but then I use the mainl in 1st position.

On Sep 20, 2004, at 8:04 PM, Rick Dempster wrote:
>           The 'C' harp is one of the most reliable harps, as is the
> 'F', and these are the two most commonly used
> neighbours to the 'D'. I use an 'Eb' a fair bit too, and it has
> similar bite to the 'F' without the atendant problems of
> the 'D', which is always hard to bend, and going out of tune.
>           I've been playing for 34 years, so this is no idle whinge.
> Thanks,
> Rick Dempster

  Hmmm, Interesting. I agree that the C is (basically) good, BUT I have
never HAD a decent F, my Ebs have usually been marginal, and I have NO
problem with the Ds. Since most of the people having trouble with the D
are "Pros", I must suck :)