Re: [Harp-L] Octavers, signal processors and amplified harmonica players?

I have and use a Boss OC-2 octaver that I like a lot.  It isn't
perfect, but I vastly prefer it to the digital octavers I have
tried, including the one in my Alesis Midiver IV.  The analog
octavers produce a very "synthy" sound on output, which I happen to
like.  Digital units tend to be much more "accurate" in reproducing
the harmonica sound in the added octaves, but the result is not
really what I'm looking for.

In addition to my octaver I use a Digitech Synth Wah envelope filter
on the primary (envelope filter) setting.  I split the wet and dry
signals and run them into separate channels on my preamp, running
the dry signal through the compressed/tube settings and the wet
signal through clean/solid state settings.  The results are
recombined through the Alesis for reverb and run to a power
amplifier.  I adjust the output of the preamp channels to blend the
amount of affected signal with the more "traditional" distorted
bluesharp sound.  Putting the OC-2 in front of the Synth Wah gives
it a more synthetic signal to which to apply the envelope filter.

I'm still interested to know if the OC-3 fixes any of the response
problems that seem to be there with the OC-2.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Roger Boyce <wader1@xxxx>
wrote:
Boss OC-2, Boss OC-3, EBS Octabass, MXR Blue Box, Electro Harmonix
Octave Multiplexor...........what are Harp L listers' experience
with
any or all of these octave pedals. I have read that Richard Hunter
and
Lee Oskar both use Boss OC-2's. What do users of octivisers see as
the
advantages and draw-backs of these signal processor. If none of them
are perfect for harmonica what sort of Frankenstein-fantatsy-
octaviser
would best serve a harmonica player's purposes?
Yours Truly
Wader