[Harp-L] My current amped setup

I recently had some offlist exchanges regarding my current electrified
setup, and I thought I'd share those details with members of these
lists.

In the studio, my signal chain looks like this:

Labtec AM-22 mic to ART Tube MP preamp to Morley 3-way signal splitter
Morley path A: clean (no effects)
Morley path B: Boss OC-2 Octaver, Akai Intelliphase phase shifter, Boss
BF2 flanger
Morley Path C: Digitech RP200

All Morley paths go to separate inputs on a Peavey KB/A 100 keyboard
amp.
The keyboard amp effects loop has an Electroharmonix Memory Man Delay
followed by an Akai Headrush looping delay (which will do either
straight delay effects, or "loops" of multiple overlays, maximum 11
seconds loop length).  I plan to add a Lexicon MPX100 reverb to the
effects loop after the Akai delay.

Note that the effects loop follows ALL the Morley paths in the chain,
i.e. all Morley paths run through the delays (and eventually the
reverb).

All channels of this setup produce high volume with very little
feedback.  By switching from one path to another on the Morley, I can
instantly go to or from any of a "clean" sound, to a heavily affected
(but not distorted) sound, to any of the 40 patches in my RP200, which
include both heavily "amped" and effected-but-not-"amped" sounds. And I
can put either of two very nice delays, or both, on any of the above.

I also use my Crate VC-508 with the Labtec AM-22 mic for recording and
some blues gigs.  It's not as flexible as my bigger setup, but when all
I want is a straight-up, bluesy tube amp sound, that's the one.  The
Crate is what I used on my recent recording of "Minor Kill", which I
released to my subscription list a few months ago.  I usually add the
Memory Man delay to that rig too (though I didn't for "Minor Kill").

That's my studio setup.  For most live gigs, the only pieces of gear I
bring with me now are the Labtec mic and the Digitech RP200, and I get a
lot of compliments on the sound, whether it's a GB, blues, or hard rock
gig.  The harp parts on my latest electronic piece, "Skankin' Saints",
were all done on the RP200, sent straight to the recording inputs.
Among other things, the RP200 has a very nice, full-sounding set of
delays built into it.  They're not quite the equal of the delays
produced by my Electro-Harmonix Memory Man, and they don't give me
tap-tempo delays like the Akai.  But they certainly sound very good with
harp, and the simplicity of the setup for live work can't be beat.  When
it's a very loud rock gig, I may also bring my Peavey KB/A 100 keyboard
amp for use as a stage monitor.

The only piece of this rig that's hard to find, new or used, is that
3-way Morley switcher pedal. Most of this stuff is available pretty
cheaply, new or used.  This whole rig costs about $1,000-$1,100,
including the Peavey amp, assuming you buy everything new (which I
wouldn't and didn't!), and excluding the cost of cables and power
supplies.  The most essential pieces of gear are the Labtec and Digitech
pedal, which together cost about $160 new, and which will do the whole
job on stage if you've got a PA to plug into.  The Labtec AM-22 mic can
be purchased new from computer supply houses for $8, and I really think
everyone with $8 to spare should check it out. It's got bottom end for
days, and the top end is reduced enough to eliminate a lot of feedback
problems.

That's about it.  It's an unconventional rig, but it certainly gives me
a lot of options.  If you want to hear this rig at work, check out the
samples at my website at:
http://www.hunterharp.com/freemus.html

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com