Re: [Harp-L] Removing windsavers from chromatics

Removing windsavers takes away as much as it gives.

First off, remove only the OUTSIDE windsavers. These are the the ones
that snap shut and seal off the blow reeds when you inhale. This
prevents the blow reeds from participating in a draw bend. When you
remove them, you can play dual-reed draw bends - D will bend down a
semitone, (same goes for Eb), F will bend down a quarter-tone (same
goes for F#) and A will bend down a semitone (same for Bb). B will
not bend at all.

If you don't remove those windsavers, all the reeds mentioned above
wil bend down three semitones or more, depending on player skill. But
they wont have that juicy dual-reed sound. Like I say, you get
something but you also give something up.

Why not remove the inside valves as well? You won't gain any bending
control and the harp will leak air like a sieve and become unplayable.

Actually, you could remove ONE of the inside valves - the one on the
B (and the B# - okay, two) in each octave. This would now allow the
Blow C in the same hole as the B (and the Blow C# with the B#) to
bend a quarter-tone in that squawky Bob Dylan way instead of bending
down three or so semitones.

Another way of achiveing this is to leave the valves in place but
clip about 1/3 of the valve away. This still preserves some windsaver
efficiency while allowing for dual-reed bends.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jonathan Hill
<jonathan.f.hill@xxxx> wrote:
I was at a HOOT meeting last night (great group, btw :-) and heard
something about removing some of the windsavers to be able to achieve
some bending effects/techniques. I'm googling for something about this
and the only thing I can find is stuff about
repairing/replacing/cleaning windsavers, but not removing them. Anyone
care to enlighten me on this technique? Thanks

Jon