Re: [Harp-L] Dynamics related variable intonation.

At 16:36 16/09/2004, you wrote:

A question that remains, is whether or not external resonance will
allow for finely controlled changes in dynamics.  Anyone have any
insight on that one?  So far, for me, hand resonance is a very binary
rather than analog technique, it's almost like playing into a PA that
intermittently cuts in and out, when it's there, its really loud, a
barely perceptible (to me) change in the hands, and its gone.
Assuming you are playing from the diaphragm, and have reasonable
control over internal resonance, is it possible to use external
resonance for dynamic control?  How closely coupled are internal and
external resonance?  Does external resonance essentially function as a
megaphone, and all dynamic control needs to come from internal
resonance?

Yes, hand resonance can be difficult to control. BUT, it can be controlled quite finely. Try doing a hand vibrato through the resonance point and you will find it comes in and goes out fast. However you will note that iy doesn't come in suddenly, there is a small window of big variation.

You CAN control this but, If I were you, I would forget about it and just let it happen over time. There are so many resonance things happening in the body and hands that it is best to let the subconscious to sort it out. Yes it is a combination of inner and outer control.
Make certain you can do static resonance...
work on hand vibrato through the resonance.
Use both in tunes... forget about it for a bit
It will happen when your ear KNOWS what the sounds are like!

Very non scientific but ir does seem to work.
Timescale??  a few weeks to months.

Douglas T