[Harp-L] Dead reeds and diatonic harp brands

Hello all

I have played Hohner Marine Band diatonics for decades - because that's what I started on in the 60's. Over the last year, because of a dinky financial windfall, I began to sample Suzuki Promasters and half-valved Promasters, Hohner Meisterklasse, Cross Harps, and Special 20's. I love the buttery articulation of the Suzukis, the big sound of the Cross Harps, the tonal variety of the 20's, and am still getting accustomed to the Meisterklasse - and I do appreciate the lack of "comb-burn" I'd get from a night of playing the wooden combed Marine Bands and slippery slurs possible with plastic and metal combs.

Here's the rub - the half-valved Promasters, although fluid as all-get-out would sometimes 'hesitate' before the reed would resonate - so I'm changing out the valved reed plates for regular Promasters. Special 20's, Promasters, & Meisterklasse seem to develop dead reeds ( 3 in the last 3 months ) faster than the Marine Bands, although so far the Cross harps ( with the same MS reeds as the Meisterklasse ) don't seem to have the same propensity to develop dead reeds. The Cross Harps feel less airtight - along the lines of a Marine Band. Could the fact that the Meisterklasse, Promaster, and Special 20's feel more airtight than Cross Harps and Marine Bands be connected to the dead reed problem? Unfortunately I've never been one to repair, customize, or buy customized harps. Why do y'all think the Marine Bands hold up better?

By the way, I just ordered the $10. Big River ( Paul deLay's favorite diatonic ) to try out. If I like it I may get a set of Big Rivers and a set of MS reed plates for when the BR's blow out. I'm moving to New Zealand this winter where harps and music gear is an arm and leg, so I have been stocking up.

Thanks

Roger AKA "Wader" Boyce