RE: [Harp-L] Butterfield on TV; was To Tell the Truth

...they are probably STILL playing that on American Forces Radio and
Television Service to this day.

-----Original Message-----
From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Aeskow@xxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, September 15, 2004 4:01 PM
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Butterfield on TV; was To Tell the Truth

The image of the young Butterfield--no  doubt stoned, hung-over, and
packing
a .22 in a calf-holster or tucked under his  belt--staring across a
game-show
set at the likes of George Gobel, Dorothy  Kilgallen, Kay Francis, and
Bill
Cullen, would almost seem too surreal to be  true...unless you actually
lived
through that period, when it could almost seem  routine.  Does anyone
know if
the noteworthy panel busted Paul, or if he  managed to lie his way to
victory
before they cut to the Timex  commercial?

But this was definitely not the last of  Butterfield's weird TV
appearances.

I have a vivid memory of seeing him  on--bizarrely enough--The Merv
Griffin
Show
with the Better Days line-up, right after  they released that great
first
album.  Ronnie Barron (RIP) ripped through a  phenomenal version of
Louisiana
Flood, and then they did either  Small-Town Talk (viva Bobby Charles) or
Nobody's
Fault But  Mine.  In between, the unctuous Mr. Merv--himself a Grade-Z
Jerry
Vale  wanna-be, obviously bewildered by this new "bag" the "kids" were
"hep"
to--shoved a Shure into Paul's face and asked him what this kind of
music was
called.  As if naming it would finally make it go away.

I remember how Paul fought to keep a  straight face, but I don't know if
he
ever answered the question.  And at  the end of the show, Merv sat down
at the
piano and did Drink To Me Only With  Thine Eyes.  A fitting conclusion.

That's another piece of video I'd give  anything to see...

Peace and Respect
Johnny T