From: "Richard Olson" <CalSag1@xxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 6:54 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Neck Rack Blues

Let me tell you buddy, the cure for the Neck Rack Blues (2)
If your neck's too long, try takin' off your shoes.

Actually that wont work either (I tried). Seems to me somebody on the list
was/is selling a heavy duty rack with vertical adjustments (Elevate me mama,
five or six stories on down!) but, as I recall it was a little pricy for me.

 I got a few rack issues myself - but when I tried going to the harp-l
archives and messing around for a while I found I couldn't work it well ( I
guess google has spoiled me). Everything I need to know is probably in the
Archives and been discussed a hundred times since 1992. Can somebody hep me?
I can't do it all by myself.
I'd like to be able to type in "harp, harmonica, rack, holder, clamp, vise,
experimental, design" and get a hit list without a million misses included.
Any real help from archivists would be cool.
I have a cheap solution for one rack problem (not height). I have/had a
problem with the harp "running away from me" and not getting a good pressure
seal. A cheap solution: go to the Dollar store and get a couple packages of
assorted bungee cords. Tiny ones wrapped in the right places can help can
help restore "tired rack syndrome". Then take a big one and hook one end to
the rack part that runs around back of your neck (the neck piece?) and the
other end gets attached to your belt or belt loop - if it's too loose - tie
knots in the bungee until the tension feels right. Also sponge-foam pipe
insulation (Home Depot etc., cheap) can be cut and put over the neck piece
and other places. This (for me) helped the runaway problem a lot - but not
altogether.
IMO the perfect rack should (except for cupping, etc.) approximate the hand
held sound (if that is what you want, and I do) and that's just a matter of
design - I'm guessing that if I could mine the achieves I could find several
wheels I wouldn't have to reinvent.
One design I've been working on includes drum equip. clamps, gooseneck
extensions, HD Bulldog clips, plastic funnels, tie-clip mics and a few
bungees. this is attached to my keyboard stand in a fairly rigid
configuration (hardly runs away) and sounds more like hand held than
anything I've ever been able to get. I'd like to talk with some one who
designs artificial limbs  and/or robotics AND blows harp!
There's probably at least 200 harp-l-ers that fit that MO.
Suck, blow, have fun,
  --CalSag