Re: [Harp-L] articulated neck rack

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joel Fritz" <jfritz666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "harpl" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 2:50 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] articulated neck rack

Joel, people are going to accuse you of being a shill who posted the
following for my benefit.

> This weekend I got out my rack and fooled with it for awhile.  I
> realized that one of my problems--one that can't be solved by my
> practicing more or learning new techniques--is the angle of the
> harmonica.  I can't get the harmonica at a comfortable angle in my mouth
> without either trimming a couple of inches off the front of my face or
> shortening my neck a bit.  This is the result of the constant radius of
> the circle the harmonica travels in in the rack and the fixed position
> of the harmonica in the clamp.

I experienced exactly the problem you describe and designed an
Ergonomic-Neck-Rack (ENR) with a harmonica angle adjustment.  It also has a
separate "altitude" adjustment to accommodate necks of various lengths. See
below.

You haven't visited my web site  www.hands-free-chromatic.7p.com

> Anyone know of a rack that either has an extra joint or a pivot where
> the harmonica mounts?

Where the standard wire rack has one adjustment, the ENR has four.  You can
place the harp in space at the exact location and angle that is right for
YOU, and the ENR can be adjusted to hold it there.

  The fun constraint is that it should cost under
> $30.  After all, you can get a perfectly servicable rack that doesn't
> adjust in that plane for $10.

Dream on. The parts alone for the ENR cost more than $30.  Then what about
all those hours sweating in a hot garage? They ought to be worth something.
Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten.

> A cheap wire rack could probably be bent for a better fit, but I'd like
> to see something more durable.

The ENR, at 1.2 lbs is nothing if not durable.  Ask anyone who has one. I
claim that $200 is not too much to pay for a lifetime of rack playing
comfort and stability.  I designed it for the Hands-Free-Chromatic but have
sold several to diatonic players who love it.

IF you buy one, you can return it within a month and I'll refund your money.
During that time you can play it or, if you are handy with tools, copy
it....I don't care.  If you can make them for less than my price, I might
buy them from you!  I make this offer to everyone but haven't ever gotten
one back.

Vern