Re: [Harp-L] problem: lowest draw reed clicks

On Sep 14, 2004, at 9:05 PM, Oliver Schoenborn wrote:

Hi folks, I have a low F Special 20 that I bought new a couple months ago. I noticed right when I first tried it that the lowest draw reed makes a clicking sound when I draw, and the sound goes away if I take the cover off, so I figure the reed is so bouncy it touches the cover. This is odd 'cause you'd think the Hohner engineers would be smart enough to make the cover higher for the lower key harmonicas. What's even weirder is that recently I noticed the same now happens with my G and C (I don't have A or B yet), but they definitely didn't use to do it. So I'm wondering if there's a way of raising the cover (short of carving a wooden piece for it) for the low F, and if this signals the end of the lifetime for the G and C. Thanks,

Oliver

Easiest fix is to determine the spot where the reed is hitting the cover, mark the spot, place cover upside down on a piece of hard soft wood (yellow pine) and using a ball bearing or BB, tap a dent in with a hammer.

smo-joe