RE: [Harp-L] articulated neck rack

From: Joel Fritz

This weekend I got out my rack and fooled with it for awhile. I realized that one of my problems--one that cann't be solved by my practicing more or learning new techniques--is the angle of the harmonica. I can't get the harmonica at a comfortable angle in my mouth without either trimming a couple of inches off the front of my face or shortening my neck a bit. This is the result of the constant radius of the circle the harmonica travels in in the rack and the fixed position of the harmonica in the clamp.

LOL - Years ago I had this big idea of playing the harmonica and bodhran at the same time so I bought a rack (Hohner I think..). No matter what I did, the only way I could get the harp satisfactorily in my mouth sufficiently to play it was to jut my whole head and lower jaw forward and slightly down. Ten minutes of that and I would have needed physiotherapy. At least, the traditional music world was spared this cock-eyed notion. I always put it down to the fact that nothing ever really fits me anyway. I'm the kind of guy who can make a £100 pair of Levis look like I just picked them out of Woolworths' reject dump. I know I'm not helping, but it's heartening sometimes to hear that it isn't just you.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica

Steve's CD of mostly traditional Irish, "Blowing Through The Reeds," is now available! Hear clips at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

Want to block unwanted pop-ups? Download the free MSN Toolbar now! http://toolbar.msn.co.uk/