[Harp-L] Chris Michalek's new CD

I've had Chris Michalek's new CD "hey is for horses" on all afternoon. The music is a long way removed from my good old jigs 'n' reels, and I don't want to make an idiot of myself by pretending to be authoritative, but I found it such a good listen that I put it on twice in a row. I didn't think I'd be able to take 50 minutes of harp-playing in a genre that I'm not used to, but Chris plays in a cool, almost laid-back style that is even "spare" at times yet which maintains the tension in the music perfectly - to my ear at least, thoroughly appropriate to the mood of the music. Even though it's miles removed from the stuff I normally play, every now and then I hear him make little moves that I recognise and can latch on to. We may all of us be playing in all sorts of styles but we're all linked! I found it very intriguing - a revelation. I won't even begin to rattle on about his superb technique....I need to get out more! Nice one, Chris.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica

Steve's CD of mostly traditional Irish, "Blowing Through The Reeds," is now available! Hear clips at http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm