Re: [Harp-L] custom harps

At 09:01 14/09/2004, Tim Moyer wrote:
My point is, when your performing at that level, the limitations
start to be found in the equipment, rather than the performer's
abilities.  If I run like Michael Johnson, I don't want to lose
because I picked the wrong shoes.  If I play like Howard Levy, I
don't want to miss the notes because I chose a stock harp over a
custom.
Tim Moyer

This is strange... for once I have to disagree with Tim... not in what he says but in what he implies.

Customisation is the process of making a harmonica work better. In the majority of cases this means ironing out manufacturing defects caused by, eventually, making down to a price. In a large number of cases it means adjusting a harmonica so that it works well and efficiently for a particular player. In a few cases it means applying with delicate care the result of thousands of hours of experimentation and careful observation to improve the capabilities of the instrument beyond where people thought it could go.

This latter type is where Tim appears to be heading.

There are very few in this class and I am absolutely no judge of exactly what it can bring to a top player... except by observation of said top players reactions to the instrument, and the same degree of expertise applied to other instruments (non harmonica)!! I've no axe to grind here, I don't customise and I don't play diatonic to any extent (and THAT is a total understatement) As an aside, I once played (Ho!) one of Joe Filisko's brass harps. After a couple of notes even I could start to see what people talked about.

However, the well set up harp... can one REALLY argue against this being something to aim to have??

I have the greatest respect for what these guys do. Diatonic players are lucky, the instrument has spawned a multitude of people trying to make their instrument play right, and out of that bunch have risen some giants who have shared their skills. Chromatic players don't have the same wealth of customising people... yet. However, I see more and more young diatonic players (anything under 50!!) turning their attention to the chromatic and demanding more from their instrument than they can get out of the box. This I hope will encourage the younger techs to do the experimentation needed to improve our chromatic instruments beyond where they are today.

Douglas t