[Harp-L] Re: custom harps

I love the analogy !

But I still loved Joe's extrapolation better !

;-)

Ben

Let's look at this from the point of view of an analogy. I'm a cycling fan, and an old man, so this one comes from that perspective. In the 1989 Tour de France, the final stage was a 15+km time trial. The riders entered that final stage with Greg Lemond trailing Laurent Fignon in first place by some 18 seconds. Lemond used all aero everything: helmet, wheels, bars, everything. Fignon, figuring he only needed to maintain his slight advantage over the short course, opted not to wear a helmet or use aero gear. In the end, Lemond won by eight seconds, having beaten Fignon by 27 seconds on the short, fast ride (still the record for the fastest time trial in tour history).

So, would aero bars, wheels, helmet, etc., help me ride like Lemond? No. I'm not even in the same class as those guys. But if those two riders we perfectly equal in physical abilities, Fignon could have maintained enough advantage to win if he'd simply chosen to wear an aero helmet.

My point is, when your performing at that level, the limitations start to be found in the equipment, rather than the performer's abilities. If I run like Michael Johnson, I don't want to lose because I picked the wrong shoes. If I play like Howard Levy, I don't want to miss the notes because I chose a stock harp over a custom.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps
http://www.workingmansharps.com/

Joe and Cass Leone wrote:

OK, let's see if I got this right:
(a) someone says 99.5% of what the harmonica can do comes from the player.
(b) the other o.5% is the harmonica.
(c) ergo, IF a player is at the 99.5% level with an $18.83 harp.
(d) does this mean that they can achieve 99.6% with a $28.25 harp.
(e) extrapolating this farther, can they achieve 99.7% with a $42.38 harp.
(f) OR 99.8% with a $63.57 harp.
(g) OR 99.9% with a $95.35 harp.
(h) OR 100% with a $143.02 harp?

Would pouring money at a problem solve it? If THAT were the case, I would have it knocked.
Where does this leave a person who is at 89.5......up shit creek?......Man, I LOVE this stuff!....smo-joe