Re: [Harp-L] custom harps ( a bit long)

A few years ago, I decided to spend some time learning harp. After many years
of messing with them, but not really trying to learn.
In the process, I have tried just about all of them. But the most important
thing I learned along the way was making them play better myself.
I have some custom harps that are great. I have a couple of Tim Moyer's early
T-bones (really good Marine Bands).. I have some of Jimmy Gordon's SP20s,
which play great. (BTW, the jury is still out on whether Jimmy is from Mars, or
not.)
 I have one by Brad Harrison that is the most responsive harp I own. Chris
Michalek once let me try one of his Filiskos and it still beats them all, hands
down. Custom harps are worth the money, without question.
   All that said, I am trying to do my own harps. Not necessarily for
monetary reasons, but just because I view it as a challenge. Am I good at it? Not
especially. But I keep trying and I am getting better at it. I will probably
never come close to the "real" customizers, but it's interesting as a hobby and at
least one harp player in my area has me set up his harps for him. (I'm
working on another one.)   And I'll probably buy some more custom harps, as my
budget allows.
 There are lots of opinions in this thread, and I'm not at all tired of it.
BTW, I just heard Michalek's new CD and there is some dangerous harp playing
there. I mean, really top notch stuff.   THere are way too many of you guys on
this list that play way too good. It's hard on my inferiority complex. But I
ain't gonna quit trying.

Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
still a fool for the harp