Re: [Harp-L] Early Blues harp books:Lost John

Hi Chip;
            'Lost John', as I understand it (I'm an Australian, so my perspective is from recordings and books only) is
originally a song (see some lyrics below, but there are a lot more verses/versions) about a runaway slave, later applied
to escaped prisoners.
            As a harp piece, I first heard Palmer McAbee's intricate take on this, and then Wayne Raney's, Onie
Wheeler's and Lonnie Glosson's.
           These three players are all southern whites; but like the five string banjo, the tradition would seem to be
originally black, held onto by whites long after the black population had stopped doing it (or the record companies had
stopped recording them?)
           Wayne Raney's 'Lost John Boogie' represents pretty well how most people play it. Apperently Sonny Terry
recorded a great version on Folkways records, which I've not heard.I
          I have a Folkways album, probably still available on CD called "39th Old Time Fiddlers Convention at Uniom
Grove" or something like that, and it has a track of an old boy doing it live.
          It is similar in technique to a piece sometimes called 'fox chase' or 'fox and hounds'.
          Basically, the most important lick is blocking holes 1 and 2 with your tongue while bending 3 down a tone (or
sometimes a semi- tone) and then pulling your tongue off so the three holes sound together, unbent; then whacking your
tongue back on 1-2 so that you go straight back to the bent three again.
          You really have to hear it. I incorporate it in my playing a lot.
          Yes;it's pre-war all right, but it survived in country/hillbilly music long after WW2. It's in 2nd position,
by the way.
           Here is a website that tells you about tge tradition of the song, and who recorded it etc.(Bob Dylan did it
at some stage too)
http://www.bluegrassmessengers.com/master/lostjohn13.html
Lost John

Long John walkin' around in the rain
He's long gone Lost John
Long gone Lost John

No hat on his head no shoes on his feet
He's a beggin the women for his meat

I had an ol' dog and his name was
like a rabbit through Bowlin' Green

Lost John walked around in rain
Around the corner left him sittin' by the ol' railroad

Good Luck,
Rick Dempster

<<When peolpe on this list speak of Lost John  is that a 1st postion pre war
song or style of playing
and where can I learn it?

Chip>>

>>> "ChipComcast" <jandkday@xxxxxxxxxxx> 11/09/2004 2:58:14 >>>
When peolpe on this list speak of Lost John  is that a 1st pooistion pre war
song or style of playing
and where can I learn it?

Chip