[Harp-L] Re: Pedals, effects and ... feedback

Louis Fargheon wrote:

"I d like to have some advices on the effects you are using,
my set :
Hohner Blues blaster or SM 58
DOD envelop filter
boss super overdrive SD1
boss digital delay DD3
boss chorus (CE 1)
sometimes a flanger anf an octaver
the amp is often a Peavey Classic 30 ( not the best  but ...)
My main problems are a ever ever ever comin' feedback, most of the times, when
the volume is high onstage."

I own a DOD FX25 envelope filter, and it's hard to control by itself.  But that SD1 is almost certainly the main culprit.

A preamp between the mic and the first effects box in the chain might help a little.   An EQ might help more; feedback usually occurs in a narrow band of frequencies, and you could find those and notch them out.  The Behringer DSP110 Shark might do the job, too, and it's a pretty inexpensive device.

But until you ditch that SD1, you're likely to have a lot of problems onstage.  Stompbox distortion devices sound great in the studio, but I've never been able to get one to work without feedback at stage volumes.  I've never seen any other harp player do it, either.

Consider using an amp modeler like the Behringer VAMP or a Digitech RP series pedal instead.  Those devices give you a lot of different distortions, and you can tailor the EQ to your mic to reduce feedback to acceptable levels.

Finally, I recommend that you select a particular mic to use with particular effects devices.  Effects respond very differently to different microphones, and you'll have a hard time getting your setup to work if you're constantly switching mics.

Regards, Richard Hunter