Re: [Harp-L] Musical Instruments & Levels of Accomplishment

I seriously doubt I could tell the
>difference between a Fillisko and any other reputable custom harp
>because I'm not really good enough appreciate and make use of that
>subtle a difference in quality...yet.  :)

You would be seriously wrong...seriously.  NOTHING compares to what
Filisko does. I have a few harps from other customizers sitting in my
box of harps I don't use.  A while ago I have a my music partner blow
chords on them.  He's not a harmonica player and he could tell the
Filisko was the best.  It wasn't until that moment that he realized
why I spend $200 per harp.  I would list the level of customizers as
I see them but that would be fair to them.  Most of them do a great
job and if I wasn't able to get something from Joe or the Filisko
guild then I would easily go with one of them.  I'm very fortunate to
be able to play Joe's harps so why not use the best if you can get em?

>Another poster wrote (sorry I can't remember)
>The undercurrent I'm getting (and I may be wrong...it's happened
>{rarely} before), seems to be that someone is saying that a player
>who
>is ALREADY at the top of the heap and playing in the 96.3 percentile
>has only to use a Filisko and "Whammo" they will be at 100%. OR,
>maybe
>a player who is a semi-yutz will "automatically" increase their
>position in the food chain by playing a Filisko.

Being in the  xx.xx percentile has little to do with the harp.
Having a nice harp can make the road easier but will not necessarily
elevate th player in the food chain. A few years ago I bought an el
cheepo guitar for $150. After a learned to play a few things I
thought things would be easier if I bought a pro class guitar. I
plunked down over $3000 for my Martin and I don't play any better (if
not worse) then I did with the $150 no name guitar.

I do think it's imparitve for all players to have at least one
customized harp as you will be able to learn and have more overall
control over a mass production class instrumnt.  Filiskos are the
cream of the crop and I think they will make you a better player in
the sense that more nuances are available but not in overall music.

Chris Michalek
Avenger of the Downtrodden