Re: [Harp-L] Musical Instruments & Levels of Accomplishment

You talk like that because you have never ever tried a filisko!

That's unbelievable! First time I tried one, I could not even say anything!
That simply incredible! So much comfort!! I did not think it was possible on a harmonica!!!

Froggy

Roy Germon <rgermon@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've got two cents to give like everyone else. :)

I don't own even a single custom harp, so I have no idea what I'm talking about but I've been down this road in SO many other hobbies that I suspect it applies here. The ability of a practitioner to appreciate and make use of better equipment depends on how much better the equipment is, and how good the person is at the activity. Equipment quality tends to follow the laws of diminishing returns, so while a 60 dollar harp might be 50% better than a stock harp, a $100 harp might only be 10% better than the $60. A beginner (or intermediate) player may not be good enough to notice or exploit that difference because his or her skills are the bigger issue. The equipment is not holding him back..

Concrete example: A long time ago I took up squash. I could not tell the difference between the $10 aluminum frame rental rackets, and my buddies $200 graphite model because I couldn't hit the ball half the time anyway, and when I did, I didn't hit it where I should because I sucked. After playing tor a while I started noticing how much my racket sucked, and how much better his was, so I bought an $80 dollar composite frame racket. I noticed a BIG difference, but this was again just as good to me as his $200 racket. Another year or so, and I started noticing the smallish sweet spot on my racket when I had to really stretch for a shot, so I started to appreciate the difference between mine and his. Never did buy a $200 racket, and I haven't played in years.

I could probably tell the difference between a well made custom harp and a stock harp (although occasionally you get a great stock harp...just not often enough). I seriously doubt I could tell the difference between a Fillisko and any other reputable custom harp because I'm not really good enough appreciate and make use of that subtle a difference in quality...yet. :)

rg