Re: [Harp-L] Musical Instruments & Levels of Accomplishment

"" <party_man1@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Garry Hodgson <garry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> "maybe we could get filisko to make some tricycles for the rest
> of us."
> Hurricane Sez :
> What Garry Hodgson expressed to me when he quoted Chris's remarks
> reflects that maybe he ( and I betcha many others as well must have
> felt it directed at them too ) took it personally on that comment and I
> know it was not a comment directed at any one novice in particular it
> is just a hard cold fact to deal with .

well, just to be clear, i didn't take it personally at all.  my comment was
mostly just a smartass remark, riffing on the racecar analogy, perhaps
a little self-deprecating.

on the other hand, there may be some truth to it.  all through this thread
have been comments about how easy these harps are to play, and how
responsive, etc.  and it seems like beginners, or maybe advanced
beginner/intermediate players, are the ones who really could use some
help from a responsive, easy to play harp as they try to make the
transition from playing the notes that are there to the ones that aren't.
i'm not at the point of doing overblows yet, but it's not exactly thrilling
to think i'll need to become a certified harp mechanic in order to set
up my harps for that, or to think about how many harps i'll likely ruin
in pursuit of that goal.

but as far as your main point, i'm not sensitive about my playing.
i'm doing ok, playing better all the time, and having a ball doing it.
i can see a clear path ahead of me to where i want to be as a
player, and i'll get there, at more or less my own pace.  i learn an
awful lot here, and am truly grateful to the many people who are so
willing to share their knowledge and passion.  much of what i read
here is not relevant to my current level, but it will be at some point,
and i'll know just where to turn for help.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

Be happy for this moment.
This moment is your life.