[Harp-L] Regarding Masco MA-17 & ME - 18's from Wader

Robb
I have a Masco ME-18, an MA 17, a Masco combo amp and a few others Masco heads. The 18 & 17 have been worked on by Skip Simmons who is considered the best with old PA heads and does a lot of work for Sonny Jr., Little Charlie and the night cats, etc. The MA 17 is supposed to be the holy grail of Macos for harp players, and is reportedly the circut that the Sonny Jr harp amp is based on. Having said that I find my ME-18 to be the hottest and sweetest sounding of the heads for harp - at least after Skip tweaked it for the instrument. The MA17 is great, just not as good. My little Masco combo - the ones with the musical note on the grill cloth and the two tone tolex really sings as well when the tubes heat up - and is a great practice amp. By the way, the little Masco amp heads work best with an EQ ( cut out most of the mids for a scoped tone and less feedback ) and an analog delay in front to open up the sound. Mascos once gone through are very reliable. For gigging though I use a Kendrick Texas Crude Harp amp ( with 4 - 10's ) which is no longer in production.
Best Roger 'Wader' Boyce