RE: [Harp-L] Custom harmonicas: filisko method...

A few words on the custom harmonica debate

Chris wrote:

>If you want a custom harmonica, the only place to go is
>www.customharmonicas.com everything else is several tiers lowers and
>they've all followed in the steps of Filisko.

If this is indeed so, then the harmonica world must rely on just three
makers (i.e. Joe, Richard and Jimmy) to provide first class custom
instruments. It's worth saying a little about custom instruments, then
returning to the statement.

A rough generalisation sorts customisers into two types. The first type
take quality components, improve the seal, adjust the gapping (and
perhaps the covers), then offer the instrument at roughly 4 to 5 times
the off the shelf price. I've tried some of these instruments, and their
performance certainly justifies the increased cost. The second type of
customisers continue working on the instrument, and in particular, place
specific contours on each reed. This takes a lot more time, and requires
a very deep understanding of how harmonicas work. Given the extra time
and skill involved, these instruments may cost upwards of 20x the off
the shelf price. Clearly the Filisko instruments fall into this second
category.

Are these higher quality instruments worth the cost and the wait? I've
tried a Filisko harmonica, and was stunned at the power and the
playability. Simply put, a great custom harmonica leaves a lasting
impression, similar to a great vintage guitar.

I do believe that other makers produce instruments of this second type.
This is just as well, as it means that there are more great instruments
for us. Those familiar with my postings will know that I'm a great fan
of Neil Graham instruments (www.neilgraham.com.au
<http://www.neilgraham.com.au/> ), which I pay full price for. Neil is
Australian (like me), and the care and time spent on his custom
instruments definitely puts them into this elite class.

Comparisons between the various makers of the second type are pointless.
The fact is there are more of them than the above posting would imply.
They produce stunning instruments, which easily justify their cost

Tony Eyers
www.harmonicatunes.com <http://www.harmonicatunes.com/>