[Harp-L] Re: Chrometta

I definitely don't plan on dropping the CX-12 as it is my favorite chromatic. It has a great sound, is easy to clean, and has very smooth slide. I agree with you on the "you need your own sound thing" but I also know that I would not be playing at the level that I am currently at, if it were not for Little Walter, William Clark, Rod Piazza, and many others. These players have advanced me much further than any amount of diddling around I have done on my own. That's not to say that diddling around on my own has not led to various revelations. It's like someone (Duke Ellington?) once said... "if it sounds good, and feels good, then it is good"

From: Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx, dawgawntired@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Chrometta
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:28:55 -0400

"Chris Hammond" wrote:
"... I play CX-12's and a 280... Anybody have any suggestions regarding
the jaw pain thing?"

The CX-12 has a big, loud sound, and it's a great chromatic when you
want the chromatic to punch like a diatonic, but that mouthpiece is fat,
and it takes some getting used to.

I recommend that you focus on relaxing your mouth when playing the
CX-12.  Be sensitive to the muscles, and when you feel them tightening
up, relax them.  Over time, you'll find that you can play for extended
periods without strain.  Don't try to force a big, fat sound into
existence with your lip and mouth muscles; think big and fat -- meaning
hear the tone you want in your head -- adjust your mouth as you go along
(always staying relaxed), and the sound will follow.

Whether the CX-12 sounds just like George Smith is another question.  As
I understand it, the old blues guys were pretty strong on the importance
of sounding like yourself. So the most important question may not be
whether the CX-12 sounds like George Smith, but whether it sounds like
-- you.

This is a question to put to your muse, not a value judgement.  It's
always a good thing to study the artists one loves very carefully; it
teaches you something about yourself as well as the other artists. I
surely do think that the CX-12 is one very expressive chromatic,
though.  I'd be loathe to drop it just because George Smith wasn't
fortunate enough to have one.

Regards, Richard Hunter
http://www.hunterharp.com

Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE! hthttp://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/