Re: [Harp-L] Huge achievement! Who's buying me drinks?

Jonathan Hill wrote:
> Chris Michalek wrote:
> > To emboss a reed take a penny and lightly drag it over the reed
> > slot.
> > Be careful not to do it too much or the reed will not sound.

> Umm....maybe I'm a moron. Why would that be helpful?

Embossing the reedslots narrows the clearance between the slots
edges and the reeds, which in turn reduces air leakage there and
makes the reeds more repsonsive.  It serves a secondary (and perhaps
more important) function, which is to push the reeds down into the
slots up near the base.  If you then gently arc the reeds to the tip
so that they curve VERY gently upwards you will further improve
their reponsiveness.

I'd argue that slot embossing on modern harps (for example, Hohners
made since 1996) stands a better chance of harm than good, since the
tolerances are already quite good, and as Chris points out,
overembossing can make the reed stick quite badly in the slot.  It
also can brighten the tone dramatically, which some (like me) find
objectionable.

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps