[Harp-L] Re: SPAH 2004

      After attending SPAH 2004,  a writer wants to know the names of two
gentlemen playing guitars with 2 harmonicas on the neck.  They are Marvin
and Roger Monroe brothers.  You probably saw also Phil and Tony Sardo
(with guitar) brothers.
      Some one made an observation that there were several groups of
people hanging around separately ignoring others in SPAH conventions and
lost interest in SPAH.   Actually SPAH is an informal meeting for
beginners, and advanced players with no requirement  of  playing in
public although optional open mic sessions are available..  After
attending my first SPAH in 2000 in Detroit, I had to attend yearly in
others cities not to miss enjoying making friends and learn new tricks
from big players.  Madcat, Filisko, Winslow, Rick Epping, Blackie
Schackner, Chamber Hwang, Al Smith, Tankersley, Phil Duncan  etc. showed
me some tips and were freindly.  You need to atttend Spah regardless of
your background,  classical music(sadly few left), pop songs, jazz or
blues.  You can come and start your own small group at Spah.  When you
play your music anywhere, people will gather around you and join your
group.  Depending on your interest in types of music, you endup in joing
your preferred group naturally among several groups spread out in front
of you.  Being ignorant or not well versed in jazz and blues, I decided
to join other small group playing my kind of music , folksongs or
popsongs with guitar.   You feel comfortable because you are no different
from other guys around you. I decided to learn someblues and jazz  and
attended classes and observed jam sessions past midnight.
     Do not ask SPAH what it can do for you .  You ask what you can do
for SPAH if you have any interest or ideas in harmonica playing.    Ken
Kwok