[Harp-L] RE: Ben and Frank

Just my two cents:

You can be influenced by someone and not be playing "like" them. I think
everyone knows that. As a matter of fact "playing like ourselves" really
means to be playing like all of our influences more or less at once.
Because none of us shares 100% of our past experiences, readings,
listenings, events, whatever. When we communicate musically all those
things that makes us who we are should be coming out. The problem arises
when the only influence you have is, say, LW. Not only are you going to
make a shoddy harmonica player, you'll make a lousy LW impersonator too
(after all LW's only influence wasn't LW).

And, the other thing I wanted to comment on that came up during the
Popper/LW thing. Someone had said that before I diss John Popper I should
sit down and try to do what he does. Well, I don't want to do what he does
and is therefore irrelevant to me whether or not I can do it. I don't
_like_ it. And I'm otherwise a huge Blues Traveller fan. I've seen them
four times. I bought everyone of their albums when it was new. I find his
music interesting and fun. His lyrics insightful and well phrased. But as
far as the noises he makes on a harmonica...well...I could do without
them. And further, just because I can't _do_ something, on say a harmonica
or guitar or whatever doesn't mean I should be prevented from commenting
on it. The validity of the comment is the same, although source is
different. If Popper wants to know how his  mindless zipping through
scales sounds to an audience member, ask me. If he wants to hear how it
sounds from a master of the instrument ask Joe Filisko. What a sorry,
opinion-free world it would be if you had to be a master of something
before commenting on it. So much for free speech, active listening,
creative commentary. Except for a few exceptions I would imagine, this
list, every news show, half of all newspapers, and every do-it-yourself
anything would cease to exist.